In my last article, I was asking what kind of recipes you would like to see here. You gave me a lot of great ideas, thank you! I’ve also noticed that you were eager about ice cream and fresh recipes for summer. Thing that I can understand, regarding those last sunny days. And which is good, because I had this recipe in mind for a while!
Ice cream sandwiches are actually two pieces of iced cookies with ice-cream in between. The taste could reminds the Oreo cookies, but those are better of course. The happiness of an ice cream and a bit of crunch! I can’t resist!
And you know what? I think that I have succeeded to find the ultimate recipe, that I’ve adapted a bit. Here I’ve played with mint / chocolate ice-cream, strawberry ice-cream, and raspberry sorbet… I let you guess which one I prefer.
The recipe comes from the book “The Cookie Dough Lover’s Cookbook“.
- Ice cream of your choice, homemade or industrial
- 40ml vegetable shortening (sunflower or grapeseed oil)
- 20gr butter
- 160g light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 70gr cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250gr all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- In a bowl, mix together melted butter, shortening and sugar until mixture is smooth.
- Add baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Mix in 1 half of the flour, followed by 2 tablespoons of water, and then add the remaining flour and another 2 tablespoons of water, mixing well until no dry ingredients remain. Dough should be soft and pliable but not sticky; if necessary, add more water until dough comes together.
- On a lightly floured surface, turn out the dough and roll it. Using a novelty cookie cut 6 or 8 cookies, depending of the size of your cutter.
- Transfer cookies to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using a chopstick poke some holes on each cookie. Place the cookies in the freezer for 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes. Do not overbake. Remove from oven and let cookies cool on baking sheet, then freeze until ready to use.
- To assemble sandwiches, put 2 or 3 balls of ice cream in the center of a cookie, assemble with the second part, enjoy!